Health Counseling and Group Classes
The Center for Diabetes, Endocrinology & Nutrition provides many quality education programs. We offer a patient-focused holistic approach to both preventing and managing disease.
For those who have diabetes, we offer individual and group education on disease management and nutrition. All classes are recognized by the American Diabetes Association and taught by experienced Registered Dietitians and Certified Diabetes Educators.
The following is a list of our current programs:
Mind, Body & Nutrition
Join this new group to take charge of your mind and body and acheive lasting improvements in your health. Learn to love and serve yourself. Loose weight and achieve overall happiness. These classes are not tailored to a specific disease state.
Weight loss is a Bonus:
- Change negative health behaviors into positive behaviors
- Breathing and relaxing techniques
- Nutrition to prevent Diabetes, Blood Pressure, and High Cholesterol
- Easy physical activities and exercises to help with blood sugar control and weight loss
- Weight loss is a Bonus
- Brain spices
Call to reserve a spot in this dynamic new group!
Living Well with Diabetes
This free session is for individuals who want to learn more about their newly diagnosed Type 2 diabetes, or for diabetics needing updates on current diabetes management.
- The different kinds of diabetes
- Basics of good blood sugar control
- Meal planning and exercise with diabetes
- Medical management of diabetes (different treatments and tests)
- Preventing complications
- Helpful diabetes resources
Nutrition and Diabetes
This session with one of our Registered Dieticians reviews how to enjoy eating with diabetes while maintaining blood sugar values. Topics include:
- How nutrients are handled in diabetes
- Diabetic diets and other special diets
- High fiber diets to reverse diabteic and heart disease
- What is glycemic Index?
- Carbohydrate counting (how and why)
- Food label reading
- How to match insulin with foods
- Cooking at home and eating out
- Weight loss techniques
- Lipid and cholesterol management
- Food supplements that prevent diabetes progression, cancer and heart disease
Insulin Pump Support Meetings
This class is intended for patients who want to learn more about their insulin pumps and how to use insulin effectively.
Advanced Diabetes Management
Are you taking insulin and still having trouble controlling your blood sugars? Then these free sessions are for you!
Come learn about:
- Why insulin sensitivity varies
- Advanced carbohydrate counting techniques
- What a carb ratio is and how it works
- Label reading and restaurant tips
- Insulin pumps, how they work, and the most effective way to use them
- Continuous glucose monitoring
- Other new diabetes technology
- Web based management tools
Pregnancy and Nutrition Class
This class is designed specifically for moms-to-be. A Registered Dietician will teach moms what to eat for a normal pregnancy while maintaining a healthy weight.
One-on-one instruction with a Certified Diabetes Educator
Occasionally our physician may recommend an individual session with a Certified Diabetes Educator. Some topics covered are: advanced insulin instruction, glucose meter instruction, and pre-pump screening.
Patient Education Handouts
The Endocrine Society publishes many useful educational handouts about endocrine system diseases. Handouts are in English and Spanish:
- Hyperthyroidism (Overactive Thyroid)
- Hypothyroidism (Underactive Thyroid)
- Thyroid Nodules
- Thyroid Cancer
- Gestational Diabetes
- Diabetes and Exercise
- Diabetes and Heart Health
- Diabetes and Kidney Health
- Hyperlipidemia (High Fat in Blood)
- Vitamin D, Calcium and Bone Health
- Menopause and Bone Loss
- Osteoporosis and Women
- Osteoporosis and Men
- Cushing's Syndrome
- Primary Aldosteronism
- Adrenal Insufficiency